Why I'm Here...

Friday, November 05, 2010

N.E.R.D. - Nothing

I must admit, I was not expecting this one…  It’s a rare occasion that I latch on to music that is as deliberately unconventional as N.E.R.D. releases tend to be.  I appreciate efforts at creativity and stretching the limits of musical artistry, but I don’t enjoy it when the beauty of the sound is lost.  However, with Nothing, N.E.R.D. created a sonically pleasant blend of the weird and the wonderful.  I didn’t consider myself a fan of theirs before, but with this release I have really begun to feel their musical vibe and technique.  Nothing is the kind of album that many musicians today who are trying to push boundaries and be more creative probably wish they could make, but it’s not that easy to do.  Pharrell, Chad and Shae make it seem effortless.  Not because the quality of the music is lacking – quite the opposite actually, because this project is incredibly focused and detailed.  It sounds like a carefree college party soundtrack colliding with hippie, socially conscious smooth grooves.  There is a sixties rock n’ roll spirit that drops in at different points throughout the album, like maybe Pharrell or Chad was listening to The Beatles and The Doors while recording, but the hard-hitting beats, robust horns, and ample bass that keep the party going are all present as well.  One of Pharrell’s musical gifts is naturally incorporating unique and unanticipated chords and chord progressions, and he continues that this time around with songs like “God Bless Us All” and “I’ve Seen the Light” (my two favorites).  Pharrell also seems to take his singing a little more seriously, showing greater range and fluidity.  But you won’t be listening to these songs to enjoy his singing voice, a) because the quality of the musical production is the real gem, and b) his singing won’t matter after a while because you will be singing loudly right along with him. Intriguing, eclectic lyrics consisting of topics ranging from “Victory” to “Life as a Fish” are that final fly accessory to this fresh outfit, making Nothing my personal non-hip-hop sleeper album of 2010.  

2 comments:

  1. I have yet to really go through the entire album but from the bits and pieces I've heard and all the reviews I can tell N.E.R.D took the next step in progressing their sound. However I still feel like the singles off of "Seeing Sounds" will be most successful when it's all said and done "Nothing" is def. be a great artistic journey for the group. Good review bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, I'm definitely gonna get around to picking up this album today, I need something new for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete