Why I'm Here...

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Top 15 Hip-Hop LP Releases of 2010


2010 was a phenomenal year in hip-hop, in my opinion the best overall since the early 2000s.  We saw certain established artists continue to maintain their relevance while others made formidable comebacks, and at the same time the underground and up-and-coming artists continued to grow and thrive as well.  I chose 15 LPs that stood out the most, (it was hard to make a list this short – I trimmed it from a list of about 50 new albums that I’ve listened to this year) and I made my selections judging from lyrical quality, musical quality, replay value and originality.  If you didn’t check out any of these albums, consider this your notification that you're missing out!  Drop a comment and let me know what you agree with, disagree with, or what should’ve been included that I left off.

15. Thank Me Later-Drake
14. From the Westside with Love-Dom Kennedy
13. Dirty Money Painting-Dru B Shinin’
12. Live from the Tape Deck-Skyzoo & Illmind
11. Death of a Pop Star-David Banner & 9th Wonder
10. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy-Kanye West
9. Trill OG-Bun B
8. Leftback-Little Brother
7. Don’t Mention It-Pac Div
6. Revolutions Per Minute-Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek are Reflection Eternal
5. Sir Lucious Leftfoot: The Son of Chico Dusty-Big Boi
4. Recovery-Eminem
3. K.R.I.T. Wuz Here-Big K.R.I.T.
2. Friday Night Lights-J. Cole
1. How I Got Over-The Roots

Honorable mentions (these two were really really close to making the list): Teflon Don-Rick Ross, Stimulus Package-Jake One & Freeway

Other “cross-genre” honorable mentions: Distant Relatives-Damian Marley & Nas, Nothing-N.E.R.D.

Non hip-hop top 15 of 2010 coming soon…

8 comments:

  1. Distant Relatives woudld be high up on my list, are these in actual order cause How I Got Over is a real good #1

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes that's the order I wanted them in. how I got over has held that top spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aite... I see I'ma have to make the list for 2011! Lol but real solid list woulda put Big Boi and Talib ahead of Eminem though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:09 AM

    J Eminem kills Big Boi! I'm feeling kanye and dru up there though

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww how you gon' play me quest? lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice list....tough task....

    Quest - talib & big boi above em? im huge fans of both kwa and big but recovery was a monster!

    I feel you on the honorable mention...stimulus package really should have made it in the top ten...dare i say? top 6 is damn near perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it bad that I only have two CDs on this list? (hopefully a third is on its way to my possession...) Also- I REALLY can't get past the fact that i used to watch pre-musician Drake on Degrassi High....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ik im late but Fabulous 2 albums were great!!!!! Im a huge Fabo fan!!! and Loso's Way was the best so far...give the man some love!!!!

    ReplyDelete