Why I'm Here...

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Nas

He is the undisputed King of N.Y.  If you don’t agree, then you haven’t been listening closely.  Nas does not lose; not when it counts.  He’s like Kobe in that way (yea, I said it).  To those of you who are outraged and yelling at me through the computer, hear me out.  I respect Jay-Z’s hustle and flow; I think 50 Cent had a great 1st album and is a genius; nobody does hip-hop entrepreneurship better than Diddy; and, God rest his soul, I love and respect everything the Notorious B.I.G. blessed us with musically.  But Nasir Jones holds the key to the city as far as the culture is concerned.  Nas is the people’s champion, a true global ambassador for hip-hop.  Oh, and did I mention he is a lyrical monster?  If you ain’t know, keep readin’…

“Analyze This” (3rd verse)
Nas and Jay-Z had their war, (which Nas clearly won) but in a time long before that the two were once friendly acquaintances.  The first time Nas spanked Jigga’s a$$ is actually on this record, they were just on better terms.  I discovered this song a while back, but I believe it’s out of print because I have never found it on an album or any type of purchasable release; I think it was pressed on vinyl only.

“You’re da Man” from Stillmatic
Many people say Stillmatic was the rebirth of Nas as a dangerous MC.  If there is another track besides “Ether” that definitively illustrates that fact, it’s this one.  This song is basically a career biopic, as Nas outlines his constant pushback from haters, imitators, and even his own oft-troubled soul.  “Wish I could flap wings and fly away, to where black kings in Ghana stay/ so I can get on, my flesh rot away, but that’ll be the day/ When there’s peace, when my gat don’t need to spray, when these streets are safe to play…” A king’s job never ceases.

“Verbal Intercourse” (1st verse) from Raekwon’s Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
 Raekwon and Nas have always had a mutual respect and admiration for each other, and have adopted parts of each other’s styles over the years.  This track on the Chef’s classic solo debut has the two plus Ghostface Killah going at it.  For me it’s hard to say there was clearly a best verse, but I do feel like this beat matches Nas’ voice so his flow is butter on the track.  If he could’ve gotten more beats like this throughout his career, y’all naysayers might respect my dude more.

 “I Gave You Power” from It Was Written
This entire song is a metaphorical painting of Nas comparing himself to a gun… but in what sense?  It’s always intriguing and powerful when art can be interpreted in multiple ways (I don’t know if Nas has ever commented on it or not), because it keeps people talking and thinking.  That is a rare feat in rap, which is why this song is so unique.  I think it’s a metaphor for the conundrum of being an artist signed to a major label, dealing with the politics and what not…what do you think?

“Take It In Blood” from It Was Written
This is the most underrated Nas song in my opinion; no one ever talks about it but the flow is crazy nice.  Granted, the song sounds like a freestyle in the traditional sense (not off the dome, but literally free of style and all over the place content-wise), but there are SO many dope quotables and deep metaphors.  This is one of my all-time favorites jams to just ride out to. 

“It Ain’t Hard To Tell” from Illmatic
This is the closing song to the arguably the greatest album in hip-hop history.  It’s hard enough not to put all of Illmatic on this list, but for me this song defines how raw and fresh the entire album is. 

 “Live at the Barbeque” (1st verse) from Main Source’s Breaking Atoms
This song from Main Source contains Nas’ inaugural verse, his first appearance on the rap scene.  It was immediately labeled a classic cut, and for Nas it’s been on ever since.  Imagine this being your first verse you ever spit on wax, and then you follow up with an album like Illmatic, and you’ve got to try to continue to live up to that type of hype – that’s pressure.  But Nas has continued to excel and remain true to himself and hip-hop.


2 comments:

  1. take it in blood is that shit! nice picks...

    one of my favorites

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gwtCEtnm6g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:39 AM

    Life's a bitch and Book of Rhymes.......book of rhymes cuz i love the genuineness.....

    this atx....had to pick anonymous...cuz i didnt want to make a profile : P

    ReplyDelete