Why I'm Here...

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Cellar, 9/24/10

“But off to better things like a hip-hop forum…”

I dropped the Q-Tip quote because it's relevant right now since hip-hop seems to be running sh!t...and that realness is in our neck of da woods, people, it’s not a fallacy… Last Friday night The Cellar on West Berry St. was live and in full effect with a DJ who was spinning right and some of the most-talented MCs from the D/FW area.  I can’t tell you how long I’ve wanted to be able to fall off in a nightspot on the weekend that is close by and just vibe out to some good hip-hop music in the comfort of a chill environment.  Throughout the past few years all of the options in Fort Worth have typically been either too club-oriented or not hip-hop enough for my tastes.  For this reason, I went to the Cellar with muted expectations – I’ve been on a good streak recently in regards to live music experiences, but I’m aware this area is still a "now you see it, now you don't" type of market.  To my delight, as I entered the Cellar I was greeted by an ample and diverse audience of people and a vintage hip-hop soundtrack of jams that I probably haven’t heard anywhere outside of my own headphones in years.  The MC line-up, including J-Kush, Big Cliff, Dru B Shinin’, RLC tha R.O.D., J. Quest and more, all kept the high-quality music coming, performing sets that included off the dome flows and songs that kept the crowd swaying and bouncing.  And did I mention there was no cover?  No cover for a package that included live music, great DJing, a sizable crowd of friendly, good-looking people to mingle with, cheap drinks, and multiple areas to sit, shoot pool, and watch Sports Center highlights.  I really couldn’t have asked for a better way to start off the weekend, and from what I’ve heard, this may become a regularly-scheduled event that will continue at the Cellar.  So for those of you who enjoy having a few drinks at a laid-back venue while hearing good music, be sure and give the Cellar a visit – I doubt you’ll be disappointed, I surely wasn’t. 

3 comments:

  1. yes sir check the Dru B Shinin' Facebook page every month to see what date the cellar will be poppin with real HipHop

    ReplyDelete
  2. and of course, the evening was brought to you by the Fort Worth Music Co-op. "Our town. Our sound."

    ReplyDelete
  3. fort worth really has a lot of talented artists. that was definitely a great night, thanks EyeJay and Dru.

    ReplyDelete