Why I'm Here...

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dru B Shinin'-The Admission One EP

Real hip-hop is alive and well in Fort Worth, TX.  Those of us who live or have spent time here are aware that Cow Town is country first, but if you are a fan of hip-hop, or you’re looking to hear some original, thoughtful, high quality music, you have been missing out if you have not taken notice of my boy, Dru B Shinin’.  Sleep no more - I’m about to put you on some game. 

Anybody who knows me knows that I don’t endorse wack music.  I just can’t do it, because I love it too much.  Dru B Shinin’, as a part of Sphere Music Group, has been in the game dropping unheralded gems since 2008, but he’s been a serious MC since the first time I met him back in 2003.  A few of the homies used to get together on the yard from time to time and freestyle, and Dru always pretty much sh!t-canned any of us who thought we could rap.  Ever since those days, I’ve watched my man grow and blossom as an artist, taking seriously his talent for rapping and love of hip-hop culture, continuing to improve his flow and craft incredible songs.  I’ve watched him go from freestyle sessions with literally anybody who was willing to step up, to developing stage presence and learning how to rock a crowd.  I say all of that to throw props to his latest offering, The Admission One EP.

This EP is the prequel to his new album, Dirty Money Painting that will be dropping in November, and these 8 songs have me hyped and ready for the coming sophomore LP.  If you aren’t familiar with Dru B Shinin’, I think the quickest way to describe his style would be to use his own rhymes: “I’m like B.o.B. mixed with ODB/ alotta crazy sh!t, a little poetry.”  That’s not doing him complete justice, because he definitely has more depth to his rhymes than many artists you will hear.  On Admission One, Dru B Shinin’ rotates between stories about life’s small pleasures as well as frustrating hardships, hallucinations of wilding out on the world, and hardcore hip-hop laced with an easy-going spirit.  The music behind his rhymes is solid; primary producer EyeJay handles the beats with co-production from Greg Shark and Andrew Skates of Telegraph Canyon.  The EP mostly employs rock-tinged beat arrangements with lots of strings and melodious mid-tempos, making this musically an album that plays with different genres.  This EP gives you a sample dose of great music from some underground artists who are serious about their craft and are talented enough to do it well.

But my words are merely meant to give you a quick picture and point you in the direction of… http://spheremusicgroup.bandcamp.com.  Download Dru B Shinin’ The Admission One EP, and if you haven't been persuaded yet, listen to “The Final Lap” on my page, and then go download the EP.  If you live in Funkytown, I’ll see ya at the next show…

7 comments:

  1. thanks sir, great writing, great blog, great ear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. right on man. Dru and the crew forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo its Born Knowledge from S.M.G. my boy Dru has got the peoples attention with this one, Dirty Money Painting is gonna wrekk!! Good job Dru. You give me something to look foward to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great piece! Nice job and nice blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:03 PM

    Great post, the young homie Dru created something special with this one. The Admission One ep is in heavy rotation on my ipod.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow great write up, This EP is amazing it gets in your skin. this blog is tight ill be back... ill be back more if you can stop all the songs from playing when i get here... or that might be my browser

    ReplyDelete
  7. they shouldn't automatically play...I'll check on it. thanks for reading. shouts out to Dru B Shinin' again!

    ReplyDelete