Why I'm Here...

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Eminem-Recovery

If you like rhyming at its finest, you will treasure this…

When I first heard about Eminem’s drug addiction, I thought to myself, “Oh, that explains it then.”  I chose to believe that the reason most of his work since The Eminem Show had been of average quality was due to the serious pill-popping problem he had.  However, when I heard him speak about his commitment to sobriety prior to the release of Relapse, I have to admit in the back of my mind I still felt skeptical.   I always worry when rappers want to reinvent themselves, because it seems hard to relive the hunger that is felt when you are on the come-up or in your prime. So when I first heard Relapse, I let out a small sigh of relief. Luckily for us, Em never planned to change his persona, he just kicked a bad habit.  He returned to the lyrical excellence that he is capable of, and that made me happy.  Not completely satisfied, but not disappointed either.

If Relapse was Eminem’s return to form, Recovery is his return to depth.  Em has been sober for over two years now, but he’s still the illest MC, and with Recovery he shows us that there may be no cure for that disease.  He actually sounds hungrier than he’s ever been – he goes in on pretty much every song.  What I respect most about this effort from Shady is that Lil’ Wayne is the ONLY featured rapper on the 17-track album.  I haven’t actually counted, but if you calculated a standard 16-bar verse for a 3-verse song, that’s at least 816 bars of mass destruction from Eminem on one CD.  And it’s all quality music, not some 27-track mixtape with 13 features and 12 interludes, an intro and an outro.  Yes, I’m hopping on my hip-hop purist soapbox, because this is how rap is supposed to be done.  Recovery is trademark Eminem – he showcases his ability to rhyme multiple syllables and deliver nasty punchlines better than anyone, he raps with a complete disregard for political correctness and is no respecter of persons (Michael J. Fox takes Christopher Reeves’ place as his new punching bag), and he speaks candidly and thoughtfully about his personal life and shortcomings.  “Talkin 2 Myself” featuring Kobe will be the track the media talks about, because he admits to thoughts of dissing Wayne and Kanye, openly stating that lashing out in beef when your career is going sour is a punk move (hint, hint, 50 Cent – listen to your boy).  Other personal cuts include a love-hate tribute to hip-hop called “25 to Life,” a dedication to Proof in “You’re Never Over,” another frustration song about an unsuccessful love life in “Love the Way You Lie” featuring Rihanna, and of course his ode to overcoming addiction and his naysayers in the first single, “Not Afraid.”

There is nothing bad that I want to say about this album.  Well…he sings a little too much for me – pretty much every chorus that doesn’t have a feature artist has Eminem singing it.  It’s also important to note that the production on the album went in a completely different direction than albums past.  Eminem has only one track from Dr. Dre and none of his own.  He uses Boi 1da (thank you, Drake, that’s what you wanted right? haha), DJ Khalil and Just Blaze for most of the album.  I’ll say that sometimes he seems to be trying to find his rhythm and footing with some of these tracks, but that could just be my ears because I am so used to hearing Eminem’s voice marching to the beat of Dre’s or his own drum only.  But I can honestly say I’m satisfied with Recovery; Eminem got clean and as a result gave hip-hop its fix.      

1 comment:

  1. great story sir. I agree this is his best work since the 8 mile soundtrack. He has taken his writing to another level detail wise. Crazy how he mimics parts of the track on this album. In this new era of up and coming TALENTED emcees (cole, drake, wiz, blu, fashawn, etc) he basically is saying hold up new dudes yall got it but keep writing...ill...good work alan im loving the blog man

    ReplyDelete